Donnerstag, 3. April 2014

Watch_Dogs - about trailer, devs and fans

You probably heard about it: THE GRAFFICKS TOTALLY SUXS IN WATCH_DGOS!1!


Nutshell version:
People still complaining are having a trust issue with the devs.
Nutshell end.


Why all the angry voices?


A lot of people were super hyped for Watch_Dogs since the very first trailer in 2012 and I can totally unterstand that - I was one of them. The whole thing was the manifested dream of next gen: the graphics, the gameplay, the interactivity, the endless possibilities. We were ready to believe that this is how PS4 and One games are gonna be and boy, were we believing.
Cut to 2014: After a very sudden delay and a long wait (really, like forever) Ubisoft released the Story trailer and people were both happy to see a release date again and shocked at the downgrade the graphics had to suffer.
So not so optimistic and trusting people felt like their next gen dream was getting a massive kick in the face and was left to die in the alley. I can understand that.

So what actually happened?


Isn't that the question of the day? Well, actually No, it isn't.
Truth is in the first 24 hours after the trailer they held a Q&A at twitch.tv and answered that very question about the downgrade. Okay, to be fair he answered like a real politician, but here's what I think he says in a nutshell: "We focused on showing you more about the story and the motivation behind Aiden's actions, but we had some really weird bugs. So we had to tone it down to get a bug free trailer. We never thought that people would go so crazy about this downgrade. Holy shit."
I'm no insider, but if I think about how all the simulations and different systems work together and influence each other, I can imagine that when there are bugs they can bring down a lot easily. A lot of this next gen feeling the graphics in the previous trailer had came from the complex simulations and systems that created the wind, the different shaders, shock waves after explosions, soft body physics, reflections and so on. Imagine having a really nasty bug somewhere deep in the physics engine. That could create some weird stuff in the aforementioned systems.
But that was not the only answer. There are literally hundreds of articles and stuff about this very questions with actual answers! If you add all the information together we got through official twitter channels, interviews, articles and videos we can agree that there are a lot of answers and almost every question ever asked was answered (except that final resolution on the One-thing, but hey, we all now it's not gonna be 1080p).

So why are all those people still angry?


Now I've talked to a few people here and there and in the end it's just a trust issue.
That is not actually a bad thing in general, because we get fucked over a lot of times, but in this very case I have a very positive feeling. I really do believe Jonathan Morin (and the shitload of articles from independent people saying the very same thing). He loves his game and he truly wants to deliver exactly what he promised us. That's why they needed more time and that's what we will get in less than two months.

Wanna know more? I can dig out a lot of articles and answers. You just have to ask me ;)

Links:
PS4 devkit footage showcasing the graphics and simulations behind Watch_Dogs (tweet by Jonathan Morin)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen